I used round courgettes for this recipe bit you could use long ones cut in half. I haven’t given quantities for the ingredients as it will very much depend on the size of the courgettes.
- Onion - chopped finely
- Red Pepper - diced
- Minced beef
- Clove of garlic - grated
- Mushrooms - chopped
- Tomato ketchup
- Basil - chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh breadcrumbs
- Parmesan cheese - grated
- Sunflower oil to fry
- Cut the top off the courgette and also take a thin slice from the bottom so the courgette will stand without wobbling.
- Place in an ovenproof dish
- Scoop out the centre of the courgette leaving flesh to form a shell.
- Add a small amount off sunflower oil to a pan and fry the chopped onions, red pepper and garlic until the onions are softened.
- Add mushrooms and minced beef.
- Cook until the beef is browned.
- Add basil and ketchup.
- Season to taste
- Spoon filling into the courgette cups until the top of the filling is level with the top of the shell.
- In a bowl combine the breadcrumbs and grated parmesan.
- Pile of top of each filled courgette shell
- Cook for about 30 minutes in oven at 180ºC or Gas Mark 4
There are many ways in which this recipe can be varied - different types of pepper including chilli peppers can be used in the filling.
- Different herbs can be used
- Passata or homemade tomato sauce could be used instead of tomato ketchup or you could add Worcestershire sauce.
- Parmesan could be substituted for a different cheese such as Mozzarella.
NB I have also used a recipe that uses cooked ham and mushrooms as a filling click here for more details
Download printable version