This delicious recipe adds variety to the menu during a courgette glut.
- Equivalent of four medium courgettes grated (you could use a food processor for this)
- 1 onion grated (you could use a food processor for this)
- Choice of herbs or spices - see variations
- black pepper
- 1 large egg beaten
- 75 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 50 g self-raising flour
- Oil for frying
- Grate the courgette by hand or use a food processor with grater attachment
- Place grated courgettes in a muslin bag (or a clean tea towel) and squeeze out as much liquid as possible (This is important to avoid the mixture being too wet)
- Grate onion
- Place breadcrumbs, flour, seasoning and flavouring into a bowl and combine well
- Mix in the beaten egg
- Add grated courgettes and onions and mix well.
- Shape the mixture into approximately eight burgers ( size is down to your preference)
- Heat oil in a frying pan
- Fry the burgers until golden brown on each side.
Add one of the following (or your own choice of ingredients) to taste:
- Chopped fresh herbs such as mint, coriander, chives etc.
- Ground spices such as cumin or a mixture of curry spices.
- Grated cheese
- Chopped bacon
- Grated carrot
- Sweetcorn kernels
- Grated potato (rinsed in cold water and dried)
Download printable version