(Excellent to try if you don’t want to just pickle red cabbage)
- 1 oz butter or oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 10 oz chopped red cabbage
- 2 eating apples cores removed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the oil to a large pan or melt the butter and add the onion.
- Fry it until it becomes soft.
- Add all the remaining ingredients
- Add salt & pepper to taste and the 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cover and simmer gently until the cabbage is cooked (45 to 60 mins)
- Keep a check to make sure the mixture is moist. Add more water in small amounts if required and stir the mixture occasionally.
Any left over freezes well.
- use 2 pears instead of apples
- add a handful of sultanas and raisins
- try adding cinnamon or nutmeg
Download printable version